Thursday, August 19, 2010

A little bit of Las Vegas in Halifax, Nova Scotia

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it seems like the landscapers with the city of Halifax have gotten really creative with their plantings this year
They've planted real, live palm trees at the intersections Connaught Ave and Quinpool and Jubilee Road! So on the way home from work one day this week I stopped and took a couple photos because I thought they were so neat.
One of the things I loved the most when I was in Las Vegas last year were the palm trees - I totally fell in love with them - and now we have a couple of them here locally - I'm gobsmacked that they can grow in our climate - and now that I've seen these - I wonder if I can get some for my own back yard!

2 comments:

  1. Joan,
    I'd keep an eye on that palm tree and see if it stays there in the winter. I'm thinking the city will dig it up and over winter it in one of their greenhouses.

    I've never looked for a variety of palm that would grow here. If one does it would need a lot of babying. Otherwise, you would see more of them around.

    Just wouldn't want to see someone spend a lot of money on a tree without knowing how much work it would be to keep it alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seen that before which we used to have it with only leaves, I really need to put the tree off the pot and move it outside

    ReplyDelete