Thursday, October 23, 2008

Yesterday's NS SPCA press conference

I always get sick after exciting things - so right after the press conference yesterday I basically came home and went to bed and didn't get up until now - almost 24 hours later, and I am still not feeling very well. My brain can't handle all the neuron activity that it takes to actually go and meet a mayor and then watch as a humane organization apologizes to you and your friends. So I'm glad that days like yesterday don't happen too often.
I thought that Sean Kelly and Mary Hill and Petra did super super well at the press conference though, I know how nervous that they probably were - and they came off as being really professional, well prepared - and the things they said were all fabulous.

They were so great that instead of using a free ticket to go to the Cause for a Paws on November 1st - I've called the Neptune Box office at 429-7070 and paid the $75.00 and purchased a ticket - so that the SPCA will get my money instead because I know how important it is that the Cause for a Paws is a success at this time in the very currently delicate history of the NS SPCA.


I hope that any of us who has an extra $75 hanging around (and I know that not a lot of us do, really) - will show the new Board that we agree that this is a now or never situation - and we are willing to support the work that they think is most important right now - and not everyone's own personal agendas - because that is what led this organization into near disaster. We have to have faith that because we know that they are in fact good people - they are doing the right things. And I am willing to support that.

We all want a positive future for the NS SPCA and all it's branches in Nova Scotia. And as Sean said - it's time to put the human politics behind - and the dog politics in the front. That sounds very good to me. I don't want to see all the work that Sean and Mary Hill have put into trying to turn around the organization not be recognized - so I am happy about the direction that they want to go - I hope that they are as good salesmen as they are board members - because their work has just started - and they have got a very difficult job to do, that's for sure.
Believe it or not, I'm a very positive person - and I want to be part of an organization that's doing good things - I am quite sure that yesterday's press conference was meant to be the starting point of showing the good things that have already happened, and now we're going to start to see some fruition of the plans they've already implemened - I personally can't believe that Sean Kelly, Mary Hill, and Kat Horne have been able to stand the barrage of constant criticsm in the last months - and still do the amount of good work that they've done - and I think they deserve a huge amount of credit for that. And now we can saddle up and ask them - how can we help you?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:50 PM

    Joan,

    Watching that small portion of the press conference that you posted, I couldn't help but notice the difference in the air between that event and the notorious AGM and it's toxic environment. Everyone yesterday was poised, professional and smiling and it just had such a positive vibe about it as opposed to the closed-door, poison, mysogynistic, reporter-slamming event from a few months ago.

    As you say, the work ahead is daunting, but it feels at least in these early days like the windows have been flung open, the dirty laundry washed and hung out to dry. Bravo everyone.

    ReplyDelete