Friday, November 3, 2006

Some Questions answered...

I mentioned that I give my guys Advantage for their fleas as opposed to Sentinel - and now I'm going to be giving them Sentinel because I found a tick on Charlie and he had to have gotten it from somewhere on peninsular Halifax.

I've always tried to use the least amount of anything that I could - when you think about it - Advantage and Sentinel are insecticide - poison - what they do is kill fleas and ticks - or you can say that they repel them - Advantage is a topical thing that you put on the outside of their body once a month, whereas Sentinel is a pill that they ingest that actually stays INSIDE their body for a whole month - and it makes me wonder what it's doing to their body if it's killing and repelling fleas and ticks. But Advantage only kills fleas while Sentinel is supposed to kill both fleas AND ticks - so that's why I'm going to have to bump up now...

So that's why I've always tried to avoid it. But unfortunately - companion animals have to live with us - and they not only have to live in my house - but they also have to go to houses of people I visit, stores I go to, mingle with other dogs, and go to public spaces - so if there's ticks around locally - they have to be treated for it. Until this year they had never had fleas - but I've been told that this year has been a really bad year for fleas - or maybe it's an age thing and their immune system can't fight them off anymore, I don't know. But, man - they can't have fleas. Gross. Have you seen 4 dogs all in a row chewing on themselves? All the sudden you feel like you're in a puppy mill. Blech.


Another question I got recently that I haven't been able to answer was about Christmas cards - and whether any local rescue offered them for sale - I have good news and so-so news - there are Santa pix that go on every year put on the Metro SPCA - at various locations and times. I was the photographer for them for two years - I'm not sure where and when they are this year - but when I find out I'll post it here - and you can get your photo taken with Santa and then go use that photo to get Christmas cards made knowing that the photo came from charity.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:40 AM

    Like you, I found a dreaded tick on my dog's head, just a few days ago. That caused me to check for fleas, and I found some. So we, too, have been invaded.

    This is the first pet I've had in my entire life that has had fleas. It was my first tick, too. Luckily, I caught it early enough that my cat hasn't been infested yet.

    My very best friend, and veterinarian, is sending some Revolution® to my home. It's topical. It kills/prevents fleas, ticks, heartworm, ear mites, mange, and more.

    You might want to ask your veterinarian about Revolution® .
    :-)

    ReplyDelete