Saturday, December 31, 2005

Further on my thinking about shopping with dogs

I had an email from a friend who said she's on the fence about stores who cater to the dog community and allowing dogs into their store - she could see both sides of the equation because no one wants to lose product to dogs lifting their legs and peeing on stuff they're trying to sell.

I said that Personally I don't think there's any sitting on the fence. I think
that there's loss in every kind of business. If a person opens a business selling children's clothing they can't ban children from the store because kids are ruining the product. It's just not possible because parents wouldn't allow it. If a person opened a pottery business they wouldn't ban people from making pottery in their store
because it started to become too messy. But because people are too willing to believe that dogs don't belong out in public they're willing to let people who own dog-related businesses to let them ban dogs from those businesses - and I say those days are past. I am going to stand up for my dog who deserves to be with me and all the other dogs who deserve to be with their owners - and call those business owners what they are - hypocrites.

A lot of the stores that I mention on my shopping page that are just normal stores that allow dogs are store owners themselves who have emailed me saying that they'd heard about my site and they wanted to let me know that they love dogs and they WANTED to be listed a place that allows dogs! So why is that? There is a quilting store that I go to on the Bedford highway that the lady who works there says she PREFERS dogs to children because when kids come in they're always messing up her button displays and it drives her to distraction. Now THAT'S a retailer I LOVE!

So that's the reality that I've chosen to believe in - and it seems that some of the local dog store owners have chosen another. That's too bad - there's lots of places where you can still get great dog stuff and have your dog with you. Spend your money judiciously because it's the 21st century and we want it to be a DOG-FRIENDLY century, don't we!

Category: [Dog Culture]

Category: [Charlie loves Halifax]

No comments:

Post a Comment