Monday, July 20, 2009

10 year reunion for Charlie and his brother Solie

In February 1999 I adopted Charlie from the Dartmouth SPCA - at the same time Jeanne adopted Solie from the Dartmouth SPCA. It just so happened that on the same day - we both took our dogs in to Carnegy Animal Hospital 3 months later to have them neutered - so we found out that each other existed - and then a couple months after that, we met up at Point Pleasant Park, and have stayed in contact ever since. We've had tons of fun ever since - and I think Solie and Charlie have too!
On Monday we met up again and went for a walk in the woods behind my house and I took a few (okay, a ton!) of photos - and it still continues to amaze me how much all the dogs from this family look exactly alike. Here Solie is totally looking like his sister Leonard who I used to have when I was married - and who now lives with her "father" in TorontoThis was Leonard - she was ball crazy

These are some shots of Solie on our walk at one of the watery spots - can you tell I live very close to a very nice spot to walk?

This is a shot of Daisy thrown in - most people think that Charlie is a rottie mix - but Daisy is the only one with any rottie in her - Charlie is 1/2 sheltie and 1/2 lab!

Who is this, is it Charlie? Or is it Solie......








There were 12 dogs in the litter - here is Solie, Charlie and Leonard back when they were much younger - both Charlie and Solie came from the SPCA - and Leonard came from an ad from the newspaper when she was 7 week's old. I've told the story before, so I won't bore everyone here.
Just about everyone from the litter has ended up in rescue - as is typical of back yard breeders - this is Sarah - who was at the Dartmouth SPCA last year




Philip was a dog who was dear to my heart - he had been deemed unadoptable and was going to be killed at the Dartmouth SPCA, but I was able to adopt him - he'd been chained his whole life - and had the most beautiful, gentle soul. He found a home in Berwick and lived for 3 wonderful years with a wonderful loving family and died last year. He was a good dog.
I met Zorro at Point Pleasant Park once, and then somebody found this sign on a store in Dartmouth - another victim of disposable petdom - I hope he found a good home.

Beethoven was also at the Dartmouth SPCA - brought in through Animal Control - and found a good home - he was smaller than Leonard - whenever a dog has come in through the SPCA I've always left my contact information - maybe someday we'll have a reunion, that would be neat.
I met Conrad at Point Pleasant Park - I was walking Charlie and Leonard and my head was down and I looked up and all of the sudden there was 2 Leanard's! It was so weird! And it turned out that Conrad and his Dad went to Seaview everyday - so when I started going there everyday too I got to know him and his Dad really well - so that was really good.

If you're interested in reading - I wrote a post in 2005 about "designer dogs" - because Charlie and the rest of his litter actually qualify as them because they are the product of 2 purebred dogs - a shetland sheepdog and a yellow lab - and why the business is so useless - and shown by this litter of dogs - it's at http://dogkisser.blogspot.com/2005/02/my-dogs-are-perfect-examples-of.html

This is a slideshow of the photos I took on Monday if you're so inclined -

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:45 AM

    I think I can tell Solie from Charlie -- she has a white strip across her nose.

    The story of that litter is so amazing. I still can't get over how big it was! Poor mom!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is quite a story. oh yes ! i can certainly tell them apart! but they are GORGEOUS--i really love Charlie and sometimes i forget to say it because-- well lets face it when you put buttercup in the mix with anyone she is going to be the star, but Charlie is special, his soul shines through for sure.

    ReplyDelete