Saturday, March 10, 2007

No space for public sex at Spectacle Lake Now!!

So me and Buttercup got lost at Burnside yesterday looking for industrial strength grommets so I decided to go to Spectacle Lake since we hadn't been there in a long time and at least I knew how to get there. When I got there everything looked normal from the road, but when we trekked in a few hundred feet I could NOT believe my eyes - the city has built a HUMUNGOUS 3 field sports field in there with night lights, astroturph on at least one of the fields - there are THREE complete fields there, a HUGE parking lot, trailers, seating, EVERYTHING!!

Can you believe it? I think the city built it speculatively for the 2014 Commonwealth Games and now that they've dropped the bid it is all a complete waste of money.

The city can't empty the garbage cans at Seaview park, and the field there is a COMPLETE MUD PIT - but they can build this MONOLITH in the middle of one of the city's parks for NOTHING. And tell no one about it. And keep everyone out. The place is locked up tighter than Britney Spears right now.

I am INCENSED. People have to know about this. Spread the word. See below for photos...

A shot of one of the sports fields
another shot of the sports fields - see all the fabulous lights that can be TURNED ON AT NIGHT?
This is a shot of the parking lot - see there's even lights in the parking lot!
This is a picture of the landscaping that they did of the outside of the fields before winter set in - show me the landscaping that they've done anywhere else in the city for any of the dog owning taxpayers in this city?
This is the ONLY sign in the whole of the facility - there is nothing anywhere noting what this place is for and who it's for - except for the HUGE "Halifax Regional Municipality" ingrained into the astroturf on the sports field.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:13 AM

    Omigod it forbids "undressing in the field"...ROTFL.

    I was walking my dog there about 3 years about and a man dressed in nothing but a backpack and a pair of hiking boots came running out of the woods and shook his pecker at me. Thought I would die laughing. No point in being embarrassed...I had my clothes on.

    But yes indeed what a colossal waste of taxpayers money this appears to be...

    cheers,
    ang & nelson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:00 PM

    I can't believe you hadn't heard about this - it was on the news several times! This is the construction that caused the silt in the stream that Andrew Younger was trying to get cleaned up. It has been in the works for a very long time, well before the games. It is being built to alleviate some of the strain and stress on the municipality's outdoor fields, and allow youth teams more access to sports fields. It is to be used both for "professional" teams and to attract visiting teams, but more so for youth and amateur groups to enhance youth fitness. These fields will not need to be closed as often because of inclement weather. And the reason they are locked up so tight - they aren't completed yet and are due to be open to the public in the spring of 2007! While I fully support the need for dog parks and off-leash areas (I have 3 dogs), these were not built in place of dog parks, nor in speculation of the Games, and ARE a worthwhile investment in our youth fitness and health.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note about the above comment from Tracey - Actually Andrew Younger said this field has been open for more than a year - so I don't think it can be opening a second time in the spring of 2007....

    ReplyDelete