Saturday, September 25, 2010

Today's 1st Annual SPCA Bark In the Park at Seaview!

So today was the 1st Annual "Bark in the Park" for the Provincial Branch's shelter of the Nova Scotia SPCA - at the end of the function they announced that they had raised approximately $22,000 - so that was fabulous! I hope that was around what they had wanted to raise - this photo is of Brosa - who has appeared many times on the blog - his Mom has her blog and a couple of the photos in this post are hers, because I took some shitty photos today and she once again was the superior photographer - so thanks to Lisa for letting me use her awesome photos! haha!
Me and Buttercup got to the function a bit late - so this is one of Lisa's photos of the large crowd that was there before I got there when they were giving out some of the prizes - of which there were many - they had great stuff today -
They outdid themselves - and it looks like it was because they had tons of sponsors - The Bay, Basics & Beyond, Bredna's Dod Dudz, Casa Dante Hair Studio, Cove Sport Therapy, Fetch Inc, Wheatons, Pepsi, Pet Stuff on the Go, Urban Cottage - and about thirty or forty more!
I won a door prize too! I won a manicure set - for humans - so I was super lucky - and the swag bag was great too - it's a nice shopping bag - and they were also giving out 6 packs of Sprite pop too! In this picture the prize I won is right in the middle
The event was begun with a bagpiper leading everyone in - this was another picture that came from Lisa - I think at this point me and Buttercup were still in bed, or I was vacuuming - at the very least I was far, far away!
Here is Bark & Fitz's table - also one of the sponsor's for the day - a very philanthropic local organization
Another vendor who I see around a lot locally - a local artist Cameron Graves - I love her stuff - and at the booth is SPCA Special Constable Nancy Noel!
This is Bobby Mac from Q104 giving out the prizes - he's got 3 dogs!
And this is Scout - a Pet Therapy dog - the Saint John Ambulance group were there today with their displays
This dog was out having a walk-about and a good time
This nice little mastiff's name is Santana and his Mom's name is Donna - she works at the hospital with me!
this poodle and Rhodesian Ridgeback were having a very good time right in the middle of everything!
And so were these 2 border collies!
I think they might have been part of the Lietash Disc Demonstration that had been going on before I got there - and because they are border collies - they just couldn't stop!
This is Tara and Kano - I think they were part of the Lietash group too - Tara works at Lietash - but Kano definitely isn't a border collie!
This is a picture of Pocket - a dog who has recently made the trip down from Ontario - where she was of course due to be killed because of the way she looks - but in addition she was also going to be used for fighting - hence the absence of her ears - except for the fact that she isn't dog aggressive, so she was completely useless to her owners, and when she was then going to be used as a breeding bitch - somehow she was ferreted away - that's as much as I know of her story - luckily she's now being fostered here in Nova Scotia - and looking for a good home. She was having a good time in the middle of all her good friends today.
This is what Buttercup looked like for the 2 seconds she was down on the ground for the 2 hours we were there - at 16 years old she does NOT like to be on the ground at all anymore - so I guess I really can't blame her.
This photo was taken of me and Buttercup today by my friend Pat - I can hold Buttercup like this for hours - which is pretty lucky.

I've been going to these SPCA - they used to call them "dog jog's" - since 2003 - the only year I didn't go was 2008 - and that was because that year me and some of my best friends were unceremoniously booted out of the SPCA by the provincial management at the time - but luckily SNAP Halifax went to the festitivites and took some pictures - so at least it got documented by someone - there's a nice smarmy picture on the SNAP Halifax site - GROSS! - so you go check it out! haha!

But for the other years - you can check the below links!

2009 Dog Jog - at Point Pleasant Park

2008's Dog Jog? Sorry! No can do - check out Snap Halifax's coverage - and that year it was called the "Royal Canin Dog Jog" - because the only way they made any money that year was because they got a fat cheque from that company!

2007 Dog Jog - at Point Pleasant Park

2006 Dog Jog - at Shubie Park - another very wet one!

2005 Dog Jog - there wasn't one - that was the year we had a huge outbreak of kennel cough locally - and they cancelled just about every dog event that summer

2003 and 2004's dog jog are covered in my post in 2007

3 comments:

  1. Great round-up as always Joan. You got some great action shots despite having to shoot with Buttercup in your arms LOL

    One minor correction -- Scout is with the St. John Ambulance pet therapy program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez Pat - I always get that wrong - when given the choice between Therapeutic Paws or Saint Johns Ambulance I always get it backwards!! I'll change the post to make it correct - and I was going to say that in my post about the fact that I should get extra points for taking pictures with a 16 pound dog in my arms the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joan!

    I didn't realize until today that Don of Don and Cody fame was one of the people at Teddy's assessment the other day. I guess they do their visiting at one of the hospital units as part of the SJA program. I think the reading program is through Therapeutic Paws, though.

    ReplyDelete